Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Off Campus Interviews Timothy Hurley


Ari King, 49er fan
Today Ari King, author of What’s Next: Conversations about College, Graduation, and the Next Step interviewed Timothy Hurley at the BBox radio studio in Brooklyn.
Timothy Hurley, author, chief loony at The Lunatic Assylum

At the appointed hour I left my secret writing place in Brooklyn Heights and walked down to Fulton Ferry Landing.

I briefly paid homage to George Washington and his American patriots who skedaddled from that site in rowboats in America’s Dunkirk in 1776.
Timothy's trip through DUMBO was not this harrowing.

From there I found my way past Grimaldi’s Pizza. The line was short and I was tempted to stay. Instead I continued to Front St., under the Brooklyn Bridge, under the Manhattan Bridge and to the studio in DUMBO (DownUnderManhattanBridgeOverpass). Not far from Wallobout Bay where the British prison ships housed captured Americans and where La Bagel Delight now sells great bagels.
The British prison ships did not serve bagels.

I shook hands with Ari, and recalled how we met. We were in the elevator together at the Clark St. Subway Station. He was wearing his trademark SF 49ers jacket (He’s a fanatic fan.), and I called out, “Go Niners!” (a very unNew-York thing to do). We talked, learned we had a San Francisco connection, later had coffee on Montague St., and boom, here we are at a radio station.
Not Timothy at the BBox studio

We had a good time doing forty-one minutes in interview, which his editor will chop down to thirty minutes. We talked about college, careers, San Francisco in the 60s, and New York in the present. And of course, his book and my book, Shortstack, funny stories. The interview will air and be on the BBox radio and Off Campus websites. Stay tuned for an interview link in late November.

After the interview I made my way back to Montague St for lunch at Lassen and Henings. Now it’s back to editing my latest short story, The Ghost on the Barstool. Another day at The Lunatic Assylum.

No comments:

Post a Comment